Many small business owners are still operating under a false sense of cyber security. The statistics of these studies are grim: The vast majority of small businesses lack a formal Internet security policy for employees, and only about half have even basic cybersecurity measures in place.
As large companies continue to get serious about data security, small businesses are becoming increasingly attractive targets and the results are often devastating for small business owners in Berkeley and San Francisco Bay Area.
Here are some ways to prevent cyber attacks:
- Train employees in cyber security principles.
- Install, use and regularly update antivirus and antispyware software on every computer used in your business.
- Use a firewall for your Internet connection.
- Download and install software updates for your operating systems and applications as they become available.
- Make backup copies of important business data and information.
- Secure your Wi-Fi networks. If you have a Wi-Fi network for your workplace, make sure it is secure and hidden.
- Limit employee access to data and information, and limit authority to install software.
- Regularly change passwords.
A data breach could cripple your small business, costing you thousands of dollars in lost sales and/or damages. Contact Fidelity Insurance Service today to ensure you have the proper coverage to protect your company against losses from cyber attacks with a California cyber liability insurance policy.